Thursday, December 5, 2013

Gingerbread Cookie Dough Stuffed Buttermint Rice Krispie Treats

Hello my fellow Christmas lovers! Today I have a recipe that should definitely added to your Christmas baking list! It combines two amazing holiday flavors into one Rice Krispie treat: gingerbread and mint



I must admit, I like cookie dough better than the actual cookie sometimes. Especially chocolate chip cookie dough! That is why my mom(Hi mom!) bought me this wonderful cookbook: 


I cannot describe how much I love this cookbook, there are so many awesome cookie dough recipes! It is a cookie dough bible!!! As I was flipping through the pages of cookie dough awesomeness, these two recipes sparked my baking imagination: 

Cookie Dough Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats

Gingerbread Cookie Dough Bark

I instantly thought to combine the two! Instead of chocolate chip cookie dough, I used gingerbread cookie dough and instead of candy canes, I used Buttermints. Since the bark has white chocolate, I thought the Buttermints would be perfect; the mints have a slight white chocolate flavor. Plus they have pretty Christmas sprinkles on them! And I lovvvvvveee sprinkles! They're like glitter for food! 

To make these festive treats, begin by making the cookie dough first. It's very important to make the cookie dough first because the Rice Krispie treat mixture becomes too firm to press into the pan if you let it sit while you make the cookie dough. Beat the butter, brown sugar, and molasses together for 2-3 minutes until it's light and fluffy. I prefer to use mild molasses; it provides just enough molasses flavor without being overpowering. Next beat in your flour, salt, and spices. Ta-da! Delicious cookie dough is done. Set that aside and try to keep your fingers out of the bowl until you've finished making the Rice Krispie treats ;) 

For the Rice Krispie treats, I make them in a slightly different way: I make them in the microwave! It is SO much easier than using a skillet! Combine your marshmallows and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the butter and marshmallows for 2 minutes and give it stir. Stick them back into the microwave for 1 more minute and give it a stir again. Stir in some vanilla until it is completely incorporated, and mix in the Rice Krispie cereal. 

Look at those melty, puffy marshmallows!!! 

After all of your Rice Krispie treat mixture is combined, press 1/2 of it into a greased 7"x11" baking pan. I prefer this size because it makes the Rice Krispie Treats slightly thicker and higher, just how I like 'em! Now, grab your cookie dough(if you haven't already eaten it) and press it on top of the Rice Krispie treat layer. Press on the remaining Rice Krispie treat mixture and Buttermints on top of the cookie dough. Cut into the Rice Krispie treats and dig in! And if you plan on making these for Christmas, try to save some for Santa! I know it will be hard not to eat them all, but I'm sure he would really appreciate them ;) 



Enjoy! 

Love
Teresa  

Ingredients
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened 
6 tbsp. mild mollasses 
6 tbsp. brown sugar 
1/4 tsp. allspice 
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger 
1/4 tsp. salt 
1 cup and 2 tbsp. all purpose flour 
1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows 
2 tbsp. unsalted butter 
6 cups Rice Krispie cereal 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup Buttermints

Yields: 24 bars

Grease a 7"x11" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. 

In a large bowl, beat together the molasses, brown sugar, and butter for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the salt and spices. Slowly mix in the flour a 1/4 cup at a time until completely combined.  Set this aside. 

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and marshmallows. Microwave this for 2 minutes. Remove it from the oven and give it stir. Put it back in the microwave for 1 more minute and stir again. Stir in the vanilla and then Rice Krispie cereal. 

Press half the Rice Krispie mixture into the bottom of the baking pan, making sure it reaches the sides. Press the cookie dough on top of that and the other half of the Rice Krispie mixture on top of the cookie dough. Press the Buttermints on top of the Rice Krispe treats. Once cooled, cut into bars. 

Recipe Adapted From: The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook, by Lindsay Landis 
*Please do not take this recipe or photos from my blog and use them as your own. If you do wish to post my recipe on your blog, please ask for permission by emailing me. Thank you. 









No comments:

Post a Comment